History of Saint John’s Lodge
by Jesse Maynard, P.M.
Saint John’s Lodge was granted dispensation November 27, 1848 and was chartered January 24, 1850. There were eight charter members with Harrison G. Hendricks serving as the lodge’s first Worshipful Master. The other charter members were Samuel Bogart, Langdon C. Searcy, Joseph M. Bounds, T.T. Berry, G.A. Foote, Leonard Searcy, and William Fitzhugh.
Saint John’s has met in many places before our present location. The first location was in the back room of George Barrett’s store. Then in the District Clerks office in the old wooden courthouse in the center of the square. Then the Lodge built a two story lodge building. It was later sold, and the lodge moved to the upper story of Joe McKinney’ Grocery Store. Then several other locations around the square, and finally to our current location.
The building was dedicated on December 27th, 1899 and was said to be the finest Masonic Lodge hall in Texas at the time. Past Grand Master Anson Rainey, and Past Grand High Priest J.C. Kidd participated in the ceremonies. Bishop A.C. Garrett delivered an eloquent address. Other speakers at the time were C.H. Wysong, W.R. Abernathy and Dr. G.A. Foote.
Saint John’s Lodge has had many members of note to McKinney, Collin County and the State of Texas including:
- James Webb Throckmorton – Governor of Texas August 9, 1866 – August 8, 1867
- G.A. Foote – Doctor, Banker and charter member.
- William G. Proctor – Grand Master of Texas 1961.
- There are many streets in McKinney named after people whom were members of the Lodge.
- There have been 27 members who have served as DDGM.
- There have been 5 sets of father and sons who have served as Worshipful Master.
- There have been 12 Brothers to receive the Golden Trowel Award, including 1 father and son.
- The brothers of Saint John’s Lodge have served their Country in every war from the War Between the States to our present conflict. Please remember these men, past and present for all they gave.
Other Masonic bodies have come to be included in our lodge. They are:
- Haggai Chapter #53 in 1856
- Haggai Council #38 in 1907
- McKinney Commandery #34 in 1900
- McKinney Chapter #518 OES in 1911
- McKinney Assembly #263 SOOB in 1995
- McKinney Order of DeMolay in 1922, and demised in 1927.
- McKinney Chapter IORG in 1964, and demised in 1980.